Cherry essential oil is extracted from the cherry tree, which was initially a wild fruit bearing tree but over time it has been domesticated. In its fruit form cherries have numerous health benefits, while the flowers are a symbol of marriage, birth, and love.
The fruit is believed to have been first domesticated in Turkey and exported to Europe and Rome. Its domestication and cultivation has now widely spread in Europe, The Middle East, and North America. They require a winter period where they go dormant in order to survive, therefore they grow best in cooler climates.
The flavor and scent of cherries is one of the most popular in the world. If you told me that you have never smelt of tasted cherry, I wouldn’t believe you. You can find cherry in candy, medicine, lip gloss, air fresheners, and just about anything else!
Please note that this oil is actually just an essential oil, as there is no way to naturally create the oil. None the less, there are still several uses and benefits of cherry essential oil as we discuss below.
Benefits of Cherry essential oil
- Fighting free radicals – The antioxidants help slow and reverse signs of aging by protecting the skin from free radicals damage that causes oxidation of the body. Oxidation hastens the aging process.
- Cure and prevention of dry skin – The emollients leave the skin smooth and hydrated giving it a supple appearance. This oil could come in handy for people struggling with dry skin.
- Cure and prevention of acne – Cherry oils help shrink large pores. Large pores make the skin excessively oily, hence attracting dirt and bacteria which lead to acne outbreaks. Where the main culprit for acne is enlarged pores, the oil will help curb the problem.
- It is a deep moisturizer – The oleic acid in the oil enables it to penetrate the skin and moisturize it from the inside out. It also increases the longevity of the oil once applied. Using it will leave your skin moisturized throughout.
- Helps heal psoriasis, eczema, and rosacea – Oleic acid in the oil strengthens cell membranes enabling the skin to repair itself in conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and rosacea. It also soothes an irritated skin.
- An efficient anti-aging – The oil helps reduce the appearance of a dull skin and fine lines that appear as a result of premature aging. Though it is not possible to eliminate wrinkles entirely, it is possible to reduce them over time. Applying this oil will help you reduce the premature aging, but it takes patience. This essential oil also helps in collagen production hence firming the skin.
- Reverses inflammation – The oil helps clear scars, repair sun damaged skin and other kinds of inflammation caused by adverse weather conditions. An inflamed skin gives a dull appearance due to uneven skin tone; while an even skin tone creates the impression of youthful skin.
- Boosts hair growth – The oleic acid (Omega-9) helps hair grow thicker, faster and stronger. This is because the oil promotes healthy hair follicles and repairs damaged follicles. Therefore the oil can also reverse hair loss.
- Prevents dandruff – The leading cause of dandruff is a dry, flaky scalp. The oil prevents this by keeping the skin moisturized.
Uses of Cherry Essential Oil
- Making candles – Cherry fragrance oil is an ingredient in the manufacture of scented candles. Once the candle burns, it fills the room with a welcoming, long lasting fragrance, making it more relaxing.
- Making soap – The art of homemade soap is gaining popularity. For the those of you that love fragrances, you can use this oil as an excellent ingredient to produce a strong relaxing aroma.
- Prepare a relaxing bath – Adding a few drops of cherry oil in a hot water bath helps relax both the mind and soul.
- Perfume ingredient – The oil makes a perfect perfume ingredient due to its longevity and fragrance. You can even combine it with other fragrances to produce either a sweet or fresh aroma that lasts all day long.
- Topical lotions and creams – Due to its deep penetrating properties, cherry essential oil makes an excellent ingredient for moisturizing lotions and creams. You can also add this oil to a product that you simply want to smell better.
- Hair tonic – The oil is ‘less fatty’ than other oils, so you can use this as an ingredient in hair tonic to reduce the base oil greasiness. You can also use it to dilute the almond oil, castor oil or olive oil for easy application, and reducing the rate at which hair attracts dust.
- Skin serum – You can mix this oil with pure vitamin E oil to form a homemade skin serum. Vitamin E oil is usually thick. Diluting it with cherry essential oil in equal parts will make it easier for you to apply.
Cherry essential oil comes in handy for beauty, home care, and aromatherapy. However, make sure you do not confused with cherry fragrance oil whose main use is to provide a cheaper substitute for cherry essential oil. The fragrance oil will give the desired fragrance and nothing more.
Oils That Are Commonly Blended With Cherry
Cherry has a very well known sweet scent. It combines perfectly with smoky and other sweet oils such as:
Cherry fragrance oil is not a natural substance and you should not use it internally or ingest it in any way. Make sure that you keep this product out of the reach of children and it is not suggested if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Before you apply this or any essential oil topically, ensure that you test it on a small patch of skin. If you are allergic, you want to find out in a small sample that you spread on your wrist, not after you take a bath in it!
Cherry essential oil, or fragrance oil, is one of the most common scents used today. It smells great and reminds most of us of our childhood. On top of the nostalgic feeling, there are many uses and benefits that you should be taking advantage of!