Coconut essential oil has exceptional benefits that you should be taking advantage of. Along with a lengthy list of benefits, it has a sweet a sweet natural aroma.
You can find Coconut trees in tropical locations across the globe. They are a well known signs for tropical paradises, vacations, and relaxation. Whether you are looking to relax on vacation, of feel like you are on vacation at a tiki bar, coconuts will help ensure that you have a great time.
The fruit itself is very healthy because it is rich with calories, vitamins, and minerals. Coconuts are high in Lauric acid which helps regulate cholesterol levels in your blood. Even the water from within the fruit has become a very popular juice across the country.
The oil has countless health benefits when applied on the body. Over decades, this oil has gained popularity across the world as people have discovered its wonders. It is one of the most common carrier oils on the planet at the moment.
Coconut essential oil is broken down into four categories: body and skin care, natural medicine, for food use and household use. This shows how beneficial coconut essential oil is and thus it is widely used over the world. Let’s go over some of the benefits and uses of coconut essential oil.
Benefits of Coconut Essential Oil
- Skin care – Coconut essential oil serves as an effective moisturizer and also excellent massage oil. It works wonders on all skin types, leaving a rough skin smoother and has no adverse effects. This makes it a safe solution to the people with rough and dry skin. Application of essential coconut oil on the body can also lead to a delayed appearance of wrinkles because of moisture retention. It is a remedy to sagging skin as a result of aging, leaving your skin healthier.
- Hair care – Use essential coconut oil on your hair and you will get shiny and healthy looking hair. Coconut essential oil reduces the loss of proteins as inadequate proteins result to various unhealthy hair qualities. For this reason, many conditioners and dandruff relief creams contain coconut oil, which you can topically apply to hair care. Coconut essential oil is an excellent hair conditioner because it promotes hair growth. Its high protein content nourishes and heals damaged hair.
- Boosting immunity – Coconut essential oil is rich in antimicrobial lipids, caprylic acid, lauric acid, and capric acid, which have antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. The body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which fights both bacteria and viruses that cause diseases like herpes and influenza.
- Keeping organs healthy – The triglycerides and fatty acids present in coconut essential oil prevent liver diseases since they can be easily converted into energy when they reach the liver. This helps in reducing the liver workload as well as preventing fat accumulation. You can even use coconut to prevent gall bladder and kidney stones. There is a belief that coconut oil is important in the treatment of pancreatitis and keeping the pancreas healthy.
Uses of Coconut Essential Oil
- Mothers and babies – An expectant mother can use coconut oil as a moisturizer on the stomach to help prevent stretch marks as a result of pregnancy. Additionally, after delivery, you can use coconut oil to help moisturize sore or cracked nipples. Breastfeeding moms with low breast milk supply are advised to consume coconut oil. This helps in doubling the lauric acid in the breast milk, a healthy fat that promotes immunity and brain development for your growing child.
- Hormone balance – You can use this oil to promote hormonal balance because it is a great source of lauric acid and saturated fats. It is advisable to consume coconut oil during menopause because of the fats, which also positively affect the estrogen level. For effective hormonal balance, reduce grain and sugar consumption and replace them with healthy fats from avocado, coconut, ghee and flax seeds.
- Oral health – A mixture of coconut oil with baking soda and a few drops of peppermint can make up an effective and yet inexpensive toothpaste. It is the best alternative if you are looking for toothpaste free from fluoride. Using this paste daily helps improve gum health, whitening teeth as well as freshening your breath. The antibiotic property in coconut oil destroys the bacteria that are responsible for causing tooth decay.
- Reduce inflammation and cure arthritis – Research conducted in India found that the antioxidants found in essential coconut oil help to reduce inflammation as well as treating arthritis. Coconut harvested with medium heat is effective in suppressing inflammatory cells. It thus works as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- Cancer prevention and treatment – Digestion of essential coconut oil produced ketones which help in fighting cancer. Ketones produce a significant amount of energy whereby the tumor cells find in inaccessible as they mainly depend on glucose. For this reason, the ketogenic diet is the best for cancer patients.
What To Mix It With
Coconut has a great tropical scent that makes you think of beaches and relaxation. I like to mix it with other sweet and tropical scents to build off the qualities already present. Here are my top suggestions:
As with any essential oil, coconut is for external use only. You do not want to take the risk of ingesting this oil. Don’t risk losing out on all of the benefits and uses of coconut essential oil by doing something dangerous!
Whether you are looking to get started with essential oils, or you are a seasoned pro, coconut should be one of your “go-to” oils. It has some many benefits that it covers a little bit of each base. If you are the type of person that wants to feel like they are on vacation all the time, this is the best oil for you!