While it may seem a little strange, the benefits of onion essential oil are something that you can’t afford to ignore just because onions make you cry. Onions make you cry in their full form but the oil they produce will make you smile. It has numerous benefits and uses that are difficult to get elsewhere.
Onions are a perennial herb that grows underground like a carrot. They are native to the Middle East and the Western side of Asia. Historians believe that wild onions were a staple food during prehistoric times because they could be easily found, harvested, and dried for later use.
These days, they are grown all over the world in a variety of different climates. This is because they grow well in a variety of different soil conditions. They are one of the most common cooking vegetables in restaurants across the country.
|Pure Onion Essential Oil - 30 ml||$14.99|
|100% Pure Onion Essential Oil - 10ml||$27.99|
|Onion Essential Oil (Allium Cepa) 100% Pure - 5 ML||$12.45|
The Ancient Egyptians considered onions to be an object of worship. The believed that onions were a symbol of eternity because they are a circle within a circle. They would bury onions with their Pharohs to help carry them into the afterlife for eternity.
Onion essential oil is created by distilling an onion bulb through steam distillation. The result in an essential oil that is golden brown in color with a very strong fragrance. I’m not sure if it truly smells like onion but it has a very distinct and very strong smell.
Benefits Of Onion Essential Oil
- Antibacterial – Onion essential oil is effective at killing many common types of bacteria. It is particularly effective in killing Salmonella and E. coli.
- Antimicrobial – Another great quality of this oil is the antimicrobial properties. It is used to kill and stop the growth of microorganisms.
- Antiviral – It can be used to help fend of viruses and viral infections. A great alternative to going to the doctor when you have a minor sickness.
- Diuretic – I don’t think I need to explain this in great detail. However, I will say that it is very effective!
- Expectorant – Onion oil is very effective against clearing up mucus and congestions. It is a very effective tool to battle snoring because it can help clear that airway while also keeping it open.
- Fungicidal – I would love to add a couple drops of onion essential oil to my husband’s feet every night. However, I am not sure if having to deal with the smell of onions is any better.
Uses Of Onion Essential Oil
- Improves Digestion – This is one of my favorite uses for onion essential oil. It is one of the few oils that can truly help with digestion and indigestion. Add a few drops of essential oil with a cup or water and drink up. You will be amazed how quickly you will feel the relief.
- Respiratory Relief – If your kids are anything like mine, they have respiratory issues in the spring because the pollen is coming out. If you want something to help clear up that respiratory track, onion is the oil for you. Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser and it can provide relief throughout the night.
- Pain Relief – If you lose a leg, don’t think any essential oil is going to make it feel better. However, this oil can help with pain caused by infections. An example of this would be an ear infection or toothache. This essential oil can destroy the bacteria that is causing you so much pain.
- Hair Growth – One of the most popular uses of onion essential oil is to improve hair growth naturally. It is the all-around best natural solution if you are looking to grow more and healthier hair. Add a few drops to your current shampoo to help clean your scalp and remove damage. This will make way for and encourage new hair growth.
- Wound Healing – The combination of antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial are a great combination for healing wounds. Onion essential oil will do a great job cleaning cuts, scrapes, or any other small wounds. The oil will also keep them from getting infected because of the great properties mentioned above. I would refrain from applying the oil directly to the wound, but you can add a few drops to your favorite carrier oil and apply it regularly to help the healing process.
- Clear Skin – Because the oil has such great antimicrobial properties, it can be used as an effective tool to help clear up your skin. It is effective against acne, psoriasis, eczema, and other skin infections. It can also be used to protect your skin from future infections. Simply add a few drops of onion essential oil to your favorite face wash, or create one yourself!
- Detoxification – If you are looking to detox your body, onion oil might be the perfect way to do so. A very effective diuretic, this oil will flush the toxins out of your body. It is known to be effective in flushing urea, uric acid, salts, and excess fats. It is a great way to ensure that you don’t become ill from the buildup of these harmful compounds.
What To Mix It With
I always include a section on what oils mix well with the oil I am writing about. Onion essential oil is one of the only oils I believe is best used independently. It has a very strong and unique smell that will overpower just about anything that you mix it with.
10 Interesting Facts About Onions
- Onions are chalked full of complex sugars that our body uses to keep out metabolism healthy.
- The average onion provides 30 calories.
- The largest onion grown in recorded history weighed just under 18 pounds!
- Using production as a measurement, onions are the 6th most popular vegetable in the world.
- 75% of the worlds onion production at yellow onions.
- Onion production takes up over 9,000,000 acres of farmland across the planet.
- English folklore could predict the harshness of coming winter based on the thickness of an onions skin.
- Onions were used as currency to pay for services and goods during the Middle Ages.
- China is the world’s top producer of onions and onion essential oil.
- Ancient Egyptians worshipped onions.
Essential oils are considered to be very safe but make sure that you do homework and consult with your physician if you have any questions. This is especially true if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding. I also strongly recommend that you consult your children’s physician before using essential oil on your kids.
When applying this oil topically, apply it to a mall area as a test before applying it across a large area. Give it 24 hours to ensure that you are not going to have an adverse reaction. You don’t want to find out that it gives you a rash after applying it to your entire body!
Most people stay away from onion essential oil because of the smell. I urge you not to do that because you will be missing out on so many great benefits and uses. Onions are a very strong and unique vegetable that can offer. Don’t miss our just because they make you cry!