Osmanthus is a small shrub that is known for its fresh fragrance. It is fairly common to find them growing in most of the countries in Southeast Asia. You can find this shrub lining the streets all over China, where it has been cultivated for over 2500 years. More recently, osmanthes essential oil (osmanthus fragrance oil) has become exceedingly popular for its scent and natural benefits.
While you may hear people refer to this oil as either an essential oil or a fragrance oil, there is no such thing as a true osmanthus essential oil. You cannot extract the oil from this plant through steam distillation, so the oil is created using synthetic ingrediants. For this reason, you do not want to ingest this oil or apply it directly to your skin.
Despite the fact that it is not a member of the olive family, many still refer to this shrub as “tea olive”. That being said, it is still a common ingredient in calming teas.
Its flowers bloom in the spring, summer, and autumn. The flowers grow is panicles and range from reddish, golden orange, to a silvery-white tone. They also produce a hard-skinned fruit that some people do preserve in brine like olives.
|Essential Oil Osmanthus Absolute - 2 ml||$28.03|
|Osmanthus Pure Absolute - 5ml||$54.00|
|Osmanthus Essential Oil (Osmanthus Fragrans) - 10ml||$23.95|
Due to the fragrant nature of the plant, Osmanthus oil has a fragrance that is almost similar to that of apricots and peaches. The oil has a yellowish to golden brown color and is extremely costly, as it takes 7000 pounds of Osmanthus flowers to extract 35 ounces of oil. For this same reason, we will not go over how to make this oil at home!
Osmanthus oil is a potent mental stimulator guaranteed to send signals of happiness to the brain when inhaled. Hence, it is a significant component in the creation of designer perfumes and cosmetics. The aromatherapy properties of Osmanthus essential oil are not only comforting but also soothing. Here are some of the great benfits of osmanthus essential oil.
Benefits of Osmanthus Essential Oil
Osmanthus oil is rich in polyphenol compounds, which help in relieving the fatigue, stress, and depression. It also helps in reducing physical stress by calming down the nerves and muscles. Hence, we commonly us it in aroma therapy treatment centers to offer relief. Using a few drops in a diffuser can also help improve concentration and relieve stress.
When you place a drop of this oil on the back of your hand and inhale after about 15 minutes, the sweet scent will lift your spirits by sending relaxing signals all over your body. It is amazing how such a simple oil can change your who outlook in a matter of seconds!
It is effective in removing harmful substances from the body such as excessive bile and uric acid, thus preventing inflammation in the urinary tract. Osmanthus oil contains skin friendly agents which give one a healthy glowing skin and is also effective in treating oily skin.
Due to its strong inhibitory effect against various bacteria and viruses, this oil is effective when used to combat Staph infections. It is much more efficient when applied topically to wounds after being blended with a carrier oil.
Osmanthus oil has over the years been used for medicinal and ornamental purposes. Some of its significant properties include stomachic, expectorant, relaxant, detoxifier, antidepressant, and aphrodisiac.
Uses of Osmanthus Oil
- To soothe muscles – Add a few drops of this oil to a carrier oil to soothe sore muscles and relax the body. It is also an effective method of pain relief.
- Increase libido – If you are struggling with low libido, Osmanthus essential oil is a great aphrodisiac. It can treat temporary impotence and lack of sexual desire.
- Aromatherapy baths – Bathing with osmanthus oil is a slight taste of heaven. The relaxing properties of hot water compliment the sweet scent of the oil to give you an enjoyable experience. However, remember to exercise caution when using this essential oil, as too much of it can have adverse effects. Add 2-3 drops of essential oil to a carrier oil as opposed to direct application. Your bath will not only be nicely scented, but it you will also be much more relaxed. It is the perfect way to end a long stressful week.
- It is excellent as massage oil – The next time you go looking for a massage parlor, settle for the one that uses osmanthus oil. Not only is osmanthus oil relaxing, but you will also leave that place smelling like a sweet fruit!
- Air freshener – It is a perfect scent to use as a freshener at home because of its sweet and lovely aroma. Besides perfume, its natural scent makes it suitable for shower gels, spa treatment oils, candles and creams
- Helps soothe stomach pains – This essential oil has high antioxidant properties. That means that it can improve circulation and aid the digestive system.
- Relaxation- Due to its ability to relieve depression and anxiety, you should use this oil during yoga and meditation. Mix it with other relaxing oils and use a diffuser to spread the scent. Osmanthus can relax your mood almost instantly and also works great in candles.
Other Oils Osmanthus Blends Well With
This fragrance oil has a very strong scent, so don’t use too much! I found that Osmanthus blends well with with other essential oils that have a little bit of a kick to them. It helps balance the strong smokey and almost floral scent that you will be starting out with. Here are a few suggestions on
- Osmanthus can tolerate full sun to partial shade. However, they will grow more densely in full sun.
- Daily watering is required for the first year, but only during droughts after that.
- This plant prefers acidic soils with good drainage. They’re susceptible to root rot if they get too wet.
- Remove branches selectively. Too much pruning can cause the plant not to bloom.
Because this is a fragrance oil, you should not ingest osmanthus oil or use it internally. Consult your physician before using this or any essential oil while pregnant or breast feeding. While this is a relatively safe essential oil, you should always make sure under your specific circumstances.
As with any essential oil, it is important that you are careful the first time you use it. You never know how your body is going to react and you want to find out on a small scale first. Test in very small quantities before deciding to go all in!
The oil is the perfect way to get relief without worrying about what kinds of harmful chemicals you are injecting in or on your body. Osmanthus is quite expensive and has a relatively strong scent, so it advisable to use it in small quantities.
Now you have it. The next time you go shopping, include Osmanthus essential oil in your shopping list and enjoy the long list of benefits.